Many fear retirement because they believe that it is the end of one's career and one's life, but, if one is an artist who continues creating, retirement is really the beginning of a life of freedom from supervisors, from colleagues, and from rules and restrictions. When a retiree has, in addition, a source or more than one source of regular and substantial income, he can sit back and smugly watch his contemporaries feverishly struggling for recognition, for awards, and for public favor while having the intelligence to not tell them, "Stop! All of those are dead ends!"
When one is retired, one's wisdom instructs him to allow the not-yet-retired to choose to learn things the hard way.
(Looking back, though, I think I always considered myself free from supervisors, from colleagues, and from rules and restrictions.)
When one is retired, one's wisdom instructs him to allow the not-yet-retired to choose to learn things the hard way.
(Looking back, though, I think I always considered myself free from supervisors, from colleagues, and from rules and restrictions.)
No comments:
Post a Comment